Finally, last step before bottling! Time to stabilize (kill the yeast) and scoot the wine along to clearing.
When I pulled the carboy out of the closet, I noticed a lot of moisture. The wine did not continue to ferment, as it was noted that it could or could not. I’m not sure if this is an issue but taking note of it anyway in my Winemaker’s Log. As always, we start by checking the gravity reading. I consistently hit this 0.990 mark as shown below and needed to be less than 0.996. As this stage, we can take a stab at the alcohol content.
I dissolved the package of metabisulphite and sorbate in 1/2 cup of cool, distilled water, and then added it to the must. Then, time to whip the hell out of the wine. The purpose of this step is to release any and all gas out of the wine. Trapped gas can lead to foul tasting and smelling wine, as well as tasting bubbly when it is not intended to.
I used the degassing whip attached to a drill, whipping for 2 minutes, then stirring with the spoon to make sure I’m stirring up the bottom, and then back to the drill. I must of done this 4-6 times. I was still getting a lot of fizz.
I remembered we had a specific bung to attach to the whip and insert into the carboy, creating a sort of vacuum. I put that sucker on and regretted it. The damn drill shredded pieces of the bung INTO THE MUST.
I was able to get a lot of it out using the spoon. It’s a pain because that opening is not much to try and scrap the top of the must. After researching the internet, I learned the wine IS NOT ruined. I may or may not rack it again before bottling, carefully siphoning around the plastic pieces.
It’s very hard to post and share such a stupid lesson learned! But I learned. I assure you it will still be drinkable. It’s food grade plastic anyway. Besides, if you don’t want it, that means more for me!
We have another 14 days before it’s time to bottle, which reminds me… time to order another kit!